Saturday, September 12, 2009

A question often asked,

I've barely been seventeen for two days; most girls my age are friends with people whom are between the ages of 17-21, generally.

Since I was 12 and met Patty, I changed those rules and standards for myself. I have been asked countless amounts of times why I am friends with older people. People find it strange, they find it unique, they find it different, and differences are rarely accepted.

I've never fully, or truthfully known the answer to the question. I mean, it's an obvious fact, I'm friends with Patty, Cathy, Carron, Jessica, Glo, and Suzi - the list certainly goes on. Everyone on that list is over fourty. Why do I find comfort in older friendships? Where does that stem from - just why?

Madyson asked me that question on the phone this afternoon when I was telling her stories of Cathy and Carron last night, & finally I had the answer. I find comfort, friendship, relationships, love, and trust in these relationships because they are mature, they are older, they've lived through similar situations, they understand, they don't strive on drama. I don't know a better love than the one that they provide, considering they are all mothers they automatically have the motherly love, the compassion, the caring, and the unconditional forgiveness.

So it may not be normal, typical, or looked well upon, but I truly find the best friendships in those who have experienced life and realize that it is not long enough to waste on petty things.

0 comments: